Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring.
“The person performing in front of you is dying in front of your eyes, as I am dying now. That’s literally true, invisibly so. But if you are sufficiently patient, you will see it…”
- Herbert Blau
Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring is an extraordinary quartet about living, dying and our relationship with time.
Comprising three live performances and a film, Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring. is a 7-hour marathon event where audience and performers merge in a piece of mass portraiture that’s fragile, frequently funny, often moving, always human.
- Summer. looks at this very moment – dozens of people on stage, responding to questions and instructions they’ve never seen before. Summer. premiered to sell-out audiences in a Salford warehouse in June 2014. In 2016, Summer. featured 45 performers ranging in age from 7 months to their early eighties, most of whom had never been on stage before.
- Autumn. is an interval between Summer. and Winter. Like a theatre interval – but almost 2 hours long and full of conversation, expert voices, explorations of the past and predictions for the future. It invites its audience to reflect on our place in history – and, of course, offers them refreshment.
- A delicate portrait of an individual at the end of a life, Winter. is a film made by Daniel Saul and Rachel Davies.
- Spring. features a group of women at various stages of pregnancy. It closes the quartet with a piece asking questions about hope and the future and celebrates the potential of new life. How do we want the world to be?
★★★★★ The Skinny, 2016
★★★★ The Stage, 2016
There is in this a governing spirit of tenderness and generosity that lifts the event above the workaday…
The Guardian, 2016
“Tonight and tomorrow the show will be different. Because that’s how life is….”
★★★★ Lyn Gardner, The Guardian on Summer 2014
Norfolk and Norwich Festival | 13 & 14 May 2017 | The Space, Norwich, UK |
Old Granada Studios, Manchester | 22 – 26 March, 2 & 3 April 2016
"Quarantine has created something genuinely special with this show. Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring. is a high watermark in the history of a remarkable theatre company" The Skinny 2016 [Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring.]
Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring. is devised by Quarantine
- Concept and Direction: Richard Gregory
- Designer: Simon Banham
- Sonia Hughes
- Lisa Mattocks
- Leentje Van de Cruys
- Co-devisor: Caroline Dubois
- Additional direction and choreography: Jane Mason
- Lighting Designer: Mike Brookes
- Dramaturg: Renny O’Shea
- Production Manager: Greg Akehurst
- Project Animateur: Kate Daley
- Technical Manager: Rory Howson
- Stage Manager/Technician: Aileen Ging
- Producer: Ali Dunican
- Academic Advisors: Professor Michael Brady; Dr John Troyer
Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring. was co-commissioned by Compass Live Art, Contact, Dublin Theatre Festival, HOME, Göteborgs Dans & Teater Festival, In Between Time, Lancaster Arts, National Theatre Wales, Noorderzon Performing Arts Festival Groningen, Northern Stage and SICK! Festival. Supported through NXT STP.
Summer. Autumn. Winter. Spring. has received an Arts Council England Exceptional Award and is supported by The Wellcome Trust.